Wednesday, October 03, 2007

One Good Thing Today

In my haste to write about my meeting with Mogise, I forgot to write about my good moment of the day.

Marvin is a member of the support group. He's been sick lately, but is showing signs of improvement. He is skilled in making silk screen prints of traditional Xhosa patterns, which he has sewn into clothing. I've seen his work and it's quite good. Marvin has rounded up about 20 other people from the support group who want to learn his craft, and he wants to teach them so that they have a skill. His only problem? No money to get new screens made and buy some fabric to start with.

He had applied for a grant from the Department of Cultural Development in Cape Town. After months of filing papers and waiting for responses, he decided to go there today to get a status update. He was very disappointed to learn that he was not going to be funded. He could not get anyone to tell him why, just that his application was not accepted.

Marvin came to me this morning to ask for my help in contacting their office and getting more facts so that he can reapply. I said I would do that. I asked how much he was looking for. He told me he'd need about R25,000 to get a real business started, but what he really needed was R300 to get his screens done and get the starting fabric. That was too easy. I gave him the money and he was very quiet for at least a minute. He then said he was starting tomorrow and would have something to show me soon. I told him I'd buy his first print, and he said he'd make me something special.

Whatever it is, it will certainly be that.

More to come.

No comments: