Saturday, January 12, 2008

Back to Normal

Well, after the events of last week I'm happy to say this week was fairly normal. The T-Mobile saga is still continuing, with additional international roaming charges still showing up (I guess there's a delay because of how networks bill each other. And they're supposed to be technology companies?). But, we're moving on.

Of course, by normal I mean that the poverty and illnesses still continue. I spoke with two people yesterday, two I'm fairly close to (and won't name for confidentiality reasons), and they are both battling significant diseases on top of their HIV/AIDS. One is dealing with breast cancer and is due to have surgery on Monday next week (14 January). She's lost some weight since I saw her before Christmas, and she's feeling very run-down. She's very worried for her children, who have their own challenges. I'm hoping she comes through the surgery well and gets good news on the tumor.

The second person just found out that he has TB. For the third time. He looks very thin and weak, which would be expected since he hasn't really eaten in several days. He should get the results of sensitivity tests next week to show which medications will be needed. I'm hoping he can take the basic regimen again, because it's only 6 months long. If he ends up with drug-resistant TB it will be at least 9 months, and could be as long as 12. He's also worried about his son, a bright 10 year-old. He asked if I thought his son should go to stay with his mother (the child's grandmother - his mother died from HIV a few years ago) for a month or two so that he can get stronger. I really didn't have a good answer - sure, it would be good, but sending the boy to a different part of town where he doesn't know anyone could create all kinds of new problems. I've learned the law of unintended consequences is multiplied in Gugulethu, and it's very, very hard to predict what could result from seemingly simple decisions.

I've also had to reopen the bank over the past couple days. It seems people have been waiting for me, including my pal Maxwell (from the hospice). I don't mind, really, it's just that some folks have come to depend on me to a level I'm uncomfortable with. I honestly don't know what they'll do when I'm gone for good - if you believe their stories they will not have food or clothes for days to weeks at a time. I know that's an exaggeration, and that people will survive just like they did before I came. But it is stopping some people and making them think.

The Centre has been hosting some students from the University of St. Thomas (Minneapolis) this week. They are spending two weeks in Cape Town as part of a theology class. Their objectives are to study how God exists in South Africa, how people have dealt with religious issues during and after apartheid and how AIDS has impacted the work of the Church. Their days run from 8am to 8pm or later, with all kinds of reading and movies and lectures. I'm very glad I'm not in the class! They spent two days around the Centre learning what we do and hearing Spiwo's thoughts on "Where is God" in the context of the townships and South Africa's history. (Actually, he spoke more about "Who is God." This seems to be the basis for many of the world's disagreements these days. I have to admit wrestling with this question myself on many occasions, and I still haven't found an answer.) The students also saw the clinic and spent some time touring the township. Next week they stay with township families for three days, which should give them a unique perspective on real life here. They also raised money for food parcels, so we're having another food parcel day on Tuesday. Let's hope we don't have any truck issues this time!

The clinic is slowly starting to get busy with people returning from holiday. Most people returned last weekend and the rest will probably come back this weekend. So far it's been okay, and I'm hoping this coming week won;t be too out-of-control.

More to come.

No comments: