Friday, July 20, 2007

Fun with Xhosa

The following is a conversation between me and our receptionist, Mkhuseli, from earlier this week, more or less verbatim:


Mkhuseli: Good morning Tony

Me: Molo bhuti [hello brother]. Kunjani? [How are you?]

Mkhuseli: Fine. How are you?

Me: Ndizaliwe (en-dee-zah-lee-way).

Mkhuseli: (stunned silence for about 5 seconds) What did you say?

Me: Ndizaliwe. Why, what did I say?

Mkhuseli: What did you mean to say?

Me: I'm calm. You know, like the weather.

Mkhuseli: (thinks for a few seconds) Do you mean ndizolile (en-dee-zoh-lee-lay)?

Me: Yeah, that sounds like it. What does ndizaliwe mean?

Mkhuseli: It means you just gave birth.

(loud laughter followed)

I have a lot of fun with the little Xhosa I know (I have been taking lessons, and know enough to at least initiate conversations). I've managed to surprise many people, especially people I'm meeting for the first time. The last thing most township folks expect is a white person who can speak Xhosa, and more than just molo (hello) or enkosi (thank you). What's most fun is saying something to folks at the Centre who normally speak English to me. I usually get a blank stare and have to repeat my Xhosa phrase, followed by the same thing in English, before they realize I was speaking Xhosa. They just don't expect it so they're trying to figure out what I was saying assuming I was speaking English.

I did have a nice little chat with a random old man on the street this week, who smiled and laughed as I worked through my "hello, how are you, I'm fine, nice day today, the sun is shining, have a nice day" phrases. I also have fun with people at the clinic, who forgive me when I butcher their names (I get about 90% correct, as long as there's no Q-click in the middle of it) and appreciate (I think) when I wish them a nice day.

My goal is to be able to give a good-bye speech in Xhosa when I leave in March. As long as it includes the weather, I'll be just fine.

No comments: